Tagline

Monday, February 10, 2014

STOP, and ask yourself why.



Is it just ME, or do you, too, relate to the story I share, below...?

Do you still cut the ends off the rib roast?

One night the mother was preparing dinner.

The daughter was watching everything the mother was doing, from chopping up the vegetables to seasoning the sauces.

Everything was going fine until the mother cut the ends off the rib roast.

'Why did you do that?', the little girl asked. Because that is how my mom did it', the mother answered. 'Well why did she do it?' 'You know I'm not really sure, let's call her and find out.'

So she called her mother and asked her why she had always cut the ends off the rib roasts.

'Because that is how my mom did it', was the response. 'Do you know why she did that?' 'Now that I think about it, I don't know, let me call her and ask her why.'


So the little girl's grandmother called her own mother, who was very old at this point, and she asked her the same question, 'Mom, when you would cook rib roasts, why did you always cut the ends off?

'Because the roast wouldn't fit in the oven dear.'





Isn't that great!  I love this story and I truly relate to it.

Many have observed and commented when I do things the way my Mom did; I always say, "Thank you". That, to me, is a compliment I crave and appreciate.  Though I don't believe I do anything as well as my Mom did, I know she was my first teacher; I, apparently, a good student.  I  actually feel when I am in 'Mom mode'.  It is a very warm feeling; as though she is actually not just with me but working through me. 

Then, there are times I have stopped and asked myself why I am doing what I am doing the way I am doing it!  Reminds me of the Einstein definition of insanity.    

Perhaps, the most important thing is to be aware, and accept,  that sometimes a break-in-tradition may serve us better today than old habits served us in yesteryear.

Change is not always comfortable, though sometimes necessary.

I recently worked with a wonderful woman I had coached a short time ago; I took her back to boot-camp. To her credit, she accepted the 'tough love' the next couple of hours hit her between-the-eyes with.  More so, she made the changes she needed to make that would serve her better.  It had a rather instant impact on her and she could not have been more pleased.   She took smart, necessary action to change.  Kudos to her!

Be present with, in and around yourself - I know that may sound crazy - but I observe too many people on auto-pilot waiting for things they hope will happen to magically happen without being accountable to the reality they must cause them to happen.  You must create your life; not expect it to show-up!

I marvel at live-theater performers who do up to eight shows per week.  They have to 'get up' for each performance making that show better than all those they have performed before.  There are no 'do-overs', there is no editing....this is it!

Your life is not a dress rehearsal.  Though every 'performance' may not be your best, each should be the result of your best effort.  
  
If you find yourself cutting the ends off the roast and you don't know why, it's time to stop and re-access. If today's action are not in your best interest, it's time to stop re-access.  If you need different results than the actions you are taking are getting, it's time to stop and re-access.

SO, IS it just me,  or do you, too, believe the end cuts of the roast are the best?   Why throw the best part - of anything out?  Why throw any moment away?



                                                                                                             Thanks, Mom xo

No comments:

Post a Comment