Tagline

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Keep them motivated!


Is it just ME, or do you, too, know women who try so very hard but make one big mistake?

This is an unusual posting for me, yet one I felt compelled to write.  It is based on two conversations I shared with members of The International Women’s Leadership Association (TheIWLA).  My experiences encouraged me to share the lesson learned from their two completely different circumstances.

Let me set the stage a bit:

Both women are already well-accomplished as they aspire to do more in an effort to share their knowledge and their passions with the general public.

Both did a ‘degree’ of due diligence to align themselves with the proper ‘partners’ to help actualize their visions.

Both were let down!

I am not, by any definition, a legal pro.  However, I do have a strong belief in right and wrong and to fairness.

I get that within every woman is the tendency to trust – believe me, I KNOW!  We want to trust because we want to believe the party we extend that trust to is worthy of it.  We often learn the hard way!

The two women with whom I spoke extended their trust in pursuit of their dreams.  Both had contracted with a party who ‘promised’ to do their share to see these dreams through; to help make them come true.

Both were let down.

One expressed that she had paid her life’s savings.

One expressed that she had to do the work she believed was the responsibility of the other party.

Neither project has been completed.

WHY?

I am sure there are an assortment of reasons and I admit I only know one side.

HOWEVER, I believe the common denominator is that both women paid 100% upfront.  In so doing, that which typically motivates other to do their work – to get paid, was eliminated. 

Motivation was erased.



That’s a hard lesson for anyone to learn, especially well-intended, enthusiastic professionals who let their good natures be taken advantage of. 

I am not attempting to give legal advice, but I am strongly recommending that you seek legal counsel when entering in to a legal arrangement.  Make sure your legal party of choice has YOUR best interest at heart.

Both women shared that ‘the other party’ wrote the contracts.  Both shared they thought the agreement was very positive.  Neither had it reviewed.  Both paid the entire fee upfront.

Long past the dates of complete fulfillment and delivery of products/services, there are two lovely women left with a sense of disappointment and abandon.
These are tough – and expensive – lessons to learn.  

If I may offer just 3 points:

1.) Seek reliable counsel.

2.) If it doesn’t feel right; it isn’t.  If it isn’t fair for all parties, IT ISN’T FAIR!

3.) Create a timeline that establish milestones of work to be accomplished in exchanged for incremental partial payments; never pay in full upfront!

TheIWLA encourages all women to dream, to create goals and to envision a better world because of their contribution to it.  We will all be better because of it.

Despite setbacks, if and when your dreams are important enough to you, you will continue forward and we hope you will.

So, IS it just me, or do you, too, wish these two wonderful women the joy of seeing their dreams come true; I’ll let you know when they do.     

We live; we learn.

We care; so we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment