Tagline

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Conscious Acts of Kindness


Is it just ME, or do you, too, love reading about and watching YouTube videos of “random acts of kindness”?

While I understand the meaning of the phrase, it still intrigues me.  Here are a few definitions of the word “random” – selected just that way!

RANDOM; def:  In no particular order
                            Spontaneous
                            Lacking any definite plan or order in purpose
                            Occurring without definite aim
                            Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective

Interesting!

Last week’s news brought us two magical examples of such acts. In no particular order, ergo, random: a photo of a young New York City police officer showed him kneeling beside who he believed to be a homeless man.  The man was also shoeless and sockless.  The 23-year old member of the department known as New York’s Finest was giving this man shoes and socks.  The officer noticed the calluses on the soles of the man’s feet and the gentleness of the officer’s soul saw no alternative action to take.  The picture was taken by a tourist passing-by – how random.  The officer did not know the picture was taken.

Next, we learned of the Secret Santa from Missouri who came to the New York Metro area – not a random act -  hoping to spread some holiday goodwill among those still devastated by Superstorm Sandy (October 29, 2012).

Secret Santa strolled around neighborhoods, visited Salvation Army Centers, and handed out crisp $100 bills to deserving recipients.  Their reactions were priceless; so grateful.  Never was Secret Santa’s identity revealed except to tell us he had made a promise to a former Secret Santa that every year he would gift $100,000 in $100 bills, just because…

So, there you have it.  Two beautiful examples of the spirit of humanity we hear too little of.  I suppose bad news sells better!

As I still sat smiling at the photo of Officer Lawrence DePrimo (definitely  “Primo”) and wiped a tear after the Secret Santa story, I was left wondering….

Do we no longer have a purpose in giving? Do we actually need a purpose to give?  Do we no longer take advantage of a spontaneous moment to give of ourselves?  Must every act and deed be calculated, timed, and mathematically aimed?

Oh, I pray that is not so and in my heart I believe many, many of us are ready, willing and ready to offer an act of kindness, a helping hand, even just a smile.  There need not be a cost and there need not be a photo-op attached at the other end.

In my older brothers bedroom, hung a small wooden plaque.  It read, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”  I saw it most every day.  It took years of reflection – and a bit of maturing – to really understand it.  Today I do; I really do.

I wish I said “thank-you” to every soldier I’ve seen in airports, gas stations, parades.  I wanted to; but I didn’t cease the moment.  I wondered if that was what they wanted me to do.  I argued that I didn’t want to invade their privacy.  I over-thought it.  I gave up the chance.  I put my feeling ahead of theirs. 

I know that Officer DePrimo and Secret Santa are two of among many who don’t think twice about randomly taking the risk of being kind to another without worry of how they may be received.  That’s why I don’t think it’s random.  There will always be those who do because they know no other way; it’s who they are, it’s what they believe, it’s how they were raised – and that’s not random.

May I put something out there….don’t over-think kindness to others.  Doing so makes it more about you than the act, itself.  Dare to put your heart out there.  Be willing to “shock” another because you deem them worthy of your instinctive need to be kind.  It is contagious. It is a virus we should be willing to share and breed.

PLAN to be kind every day.  AIM high.  Know the PURPOSE; it’s simple.

It’s BECAUSE:  because you can, because someone else benefits, it’s because…………..wait…there really doesn’t have to be a big reason. It doesn’t have to be a grandiose.  Let someone pass ahead of you in a line,  hold the door for a senior citizen…oh, the hell with it… JUST SMILE.

Thinking about it doesn’t get it done; intending to means you haven’t.

So IS it just me?  Will you join me and commit to “random” acts of kindness.  It’s the best way to make you feel good about YOU.  I promise, others will follow your actions; there is no better way to lead than by example.

Tell me…have you witnessed a random act of kindness? Have you been the benefactor or beneficiary of one?  Sure you have…you’re a woman of leadership!
 
For all those in need of your kindness, “thanks”, in advance(I’m smiling!)

  

  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment