Tagline

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Year is Two-Thousand Thir-teaM – “M’ is for Mentor


Is It Just ME, or do you, too, look back and remember one teacher as your favorite?

For me, it was Mrs. Stanton.  I had her for Social Studies for two of my high school years.  As the years move on, I recall tidbits of information she shared as she leaned over her podium in her modest attire and not too fashionable hair-do.  I loved her.  As time goes on, I appreciate her more and more.

At the wake of the mother of a lifelong friend, I engaged in a conversation with a woman who happened to position herself nearby.  I learned she grew up in the same town as I.  I asked her maiden name; she said Stanton!

I asked her if “Mrs. Stanton” was her mother.  Duh, of course, Mrs. Stanton was her mother.  Pretty sure Mr. Stanton was her father, too!   But, I meant was she “my” Mrs. Stanton’s mother!  She said she was.
Somewhat true to form (for me!) I reacted with free-flowing tears!  Mrs. Stanton had passed-away not that many years before.  I never told her what she meant to me and how much I still thought of her and the fact that I learned so much from her.  So, I told her daughter.  She beamed and thanked me for sharing my feelings about her mom.   I felt good for that moment, but not really satisfied with it; not really proud of myself.

I suppose it’s safe – and fair – to say that every teacher we have ever had has been a mentor.  Mrs. Stanton was one of mine and I didn’t even know it.  That’s how easy mentorship can be.  Years later, that’s how meaningful mentorship can be.

January is Mentorship Month.

Mentorship is a personal development relationship in which a more experienced or knowledgeable person helps a less experienced or less knowledgeable person; it means to help others succeed.


May I suggest you find a mentor; become a mentor.  It demands nothing of you except to take interest in the experience or needs of another.  I believe we should all be wearing both hats at the same time (now, there’s a look!).  It’s what the saying ‘lift as you are lifted’ means.  It means to be paying it forward as you are paying it back.  It means to be important to someone else and to let them know they are important to you.
Regardless of station or stage of life, we can all use a mentor; we can all be a mentor.  We can all play a positive role in helping another succeed.  That makes us the most successful we can be.

So, IS it just me, or do you, too, have a mentor who, long after the last bell rang, still lives in your heart and in your memories?  Sure you do; we all have a Mrs. Stanton.

              Would you believe, I can still remember the first word I wrote in my  
               Sophomore Social Studies notebook:  “Gondwanaland”!  Google it.
                                     It’s fascinating; just like Mrs. Stanton.

Who was that special teacher, coach, mentor in your life?  Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment