Tagline

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

YOU OLD-FASHIONED GIRL, YOU


Is it Just Me, or have you, too grown weary of spoken words and broken promises?

I used to think I was pretty “with-it” – you know, keeping up with the times, making the necessary changes here and there.  I’m starting to think I am really just an old-fashioned girl.  That is not an apology!

I was raised listening to the stories of senior folk (guess I just proved the old-fashioned thing!).  Deals were made with handshakes. Promises were kept; one’s word didn’t mean something – it meant everything.  You could only be as good as your word.  That was enough.

Today, things seem quite different.  Despite the benefit of technology and the ability to keep track of everything, we seem to be running on a significant deficit when it comes to keeping our word.  What a shame!

Remember the sayings, “Say what you mean and mean what you say”, “…walk your talk”,  “Do as I do; not as I say”?  (Oh, I AM old-fashioned!)

In speaking with so many wonderful women who have assumed leadership roles at home, in their communities, and in the workplace, I promise you this – no matter how “with-it” THEY are – and they are – they, too have a bit of good old-fashioned values in them.

 
Leadership requires the ability to make decisions, to keep commitments, to assure others that your word is bankable – in every sense - and that they are deserving of the rights and responsibilities of their roles.

There is so much I admire about women who go out of their way to network, to mentor others, to be reliable sources of information to and for others.  There is nothing I admire more than one whose word is still worth everything to them – THEIR word is everything to me.

So, IS it just me, or do you wish we could go forward by taking a step back to the values of just a couple of generations ago just to be able to shake another’s hand while not having to wonder if the other hand were in your pocket?
I’d take that journey; I give you my word on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment