Tagline

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A lesson in every situation? Oh, yeah!



Is It Just ME, or do you, too, wonder what it is you are supposed to get out of every situation?

Well, I am going to keep this short; I’m tired!!!  Let me tell you why…

On a recent trip to visit out-of-town family, for a planned experience, I found myself in the midst of an unexpected one…

About fifteen minutes before my scheduled departure for the airport, my brother-in-law suffered a major heart attack that found us speeding to the hospital emergency room.

Two hours later, we were conferencing with the cardiologist as he showed us a video of the life-saving procedure that re-opened the main artery; the widow-maker, as it has come to be known.  WOW.  

My basic cardiology “class” was just one lesson I learned that day, and I guess I didn’t really learn it as much as I was reminded of a lesson I was raised with.  That lesson is to take no one and nothing for granted and that each day is a gift.

We had household rules growing up.  One was never to slam the door when you left or to leave being angry at a family member.  My Dad always reminded us there was no guarantee that upon re-entering the house we would find everyone where we had left them.  So true.

Regret is a terrible thing to live with; avoid it.  Live in the moment.  Tell the people you love that you love them during the good times; don’t wait for life and death situations.  Let go of grudges; they are burdensome loads that take years off your life, maybe not life expectancy, per se, but the good thing you should expect to get out of life and that others should feel the blessing to expect from you.  Hey, we are all in this together; let’s be there for each other, in the good times and in the bad.

This is a special week for scores of millions of people around the world.  For Christians, it’s Holy Week; for Jews, it is Passover.  The gentleman who sat beside me on the plane ride home was a Muslim visiting the United States to lecture on world religions because it is a special week in that community, as well. 

I know it’s NOT JUST ME… as I said; we are all in this together.

To all who may be suffering now…

GET well, BE well, and STAY well.

1 comment: