Tagline

Friday, December 6, 2013

Rest Well…


I think it only proper to approach this entry a bit differently, for in my lifetime, there have been few who have lived to the depth of their beliefs, their hopes, their dreams, as did Nelson Mandella.

I could not honesty say when my first recollection of that name, that man, that cause was.  Somehow, however, I don’t remember not knowing that name, that man, that cause.

Mandella was born on July 18, 1918, the son of a Counselor to the paramount chief of the Thimbu people in South Africa.

In 1994, he became the first black president of South Africa, an election by all parties and by all people.

It is all that happened in between that is the story of Nelson Mandella.
After completing his education, he founded the African National Congress (ANC).  It was the 1940s; news did traveled neither as fast, nor far, nor furiously as it does today.

The ANC was formed to stand against white domination in South Africa and Nelson Mandella quickly became known as the leader of the anti-apartheid revolution.

His hope was to see a world where all peoples could live together and recognize equality and opportunities for all.  

This dream, this hope, this vision caused him to be sentenced to life in prison in 1964 on the small rocky island called Robben, surrounded by shark infested waters.  He endured life on that island for almost 20 years and served 27 years in total as a man accused of conspiracy, sabotage and treason. 

South Africa President de Klerk, the last white president of South Africa, lifted the ban against the ANC on February 2, 1990; nine days later, Nelson Mandella walked out of prison -  a free man.

In thinking of Nelson Mandella, so  many words come to mind,  He was faithful, passionate, committed, courageous………. What I have decided to embrace about this world-leader was that he was a perfect blend of tenacity and temperance and that he never let one over take the other.  I believe that is how he survived, how he lived, how he led.

There is much to be learned from this man.  Though I am a white woman from the West, it is reasonable to think there is little with which I could identify – that anyone could identify! I do not feel that way.  I believe he has taught us all something.

I feel that Nelson Mandella brought much to the world and that he paid the price for doing it.  Though I believe (and really need to) he had much happiness in his life, I wonder how he endured the loneliness of those 27 years; what kept him believing – and hoping?

The victor at the end of any battle finds it easy to say it was worth it.  He who is not victorious is left to wonder how, where and why he went wrong.
While such thoughts would do nothing but to declare Mandella human, I believe he must have always thought the battle was worth waging; regardless of the outcome.

In his own words, he said,

“I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities.  It is an ideal I hope to live for and to achieve.  But if need be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”

To Mr. Mandella, I would say,

“I hope the world remembers you as the man who truly lived to do exactly what you did and in the moment of your moving-on from your earthly dwelling-place, transitioned to a place that not even you could have imagined.  There, may you experience freedom beyond our human nature to comprehend and there, may your stay make 27 years feel as but a moment in time.”


*

No comments:

Post a Comment