Tagline

Friday, January 31, 2014

Table for four




Is it just ME, or do you, too, look forward to those special afternoons, from time to time, to spend with some of your favorite people in the world?

For almost my entire life, I have been blessed to have that best friend I could count on for everything.  Already blessed with two "real" sisters and three brothers, we were all blessed with a couple of "add-ons" we wouldn't change for the world; Pam is one of them.

Last Saturday, I had the gift of an afternoon with my "third sister", her Mom (86 years-old) and my Aunt (88 years-old).  We enjoyed an amazingly delicious lunch in a lovely restaurant that happens to be around the corner from both octogenarians; though an approximate 90 minutes ride for Pam and me; so worth it.

Now, let me be clear, we are not "lunching ladies"; not at all.  This is a special occasion; a gift we give each other.  A gift worth waiting for, a gift worth savoring.

So, what do we talk about?  EVERY THING!  WE ARE 4 WOMEN, AFTER ALL!!  The "how are you's" out of the way, we move on to politics, current events, new movie releases, the best and worst of what's on TV, all of our mutual associates (some we know and some we just cannot seem to remember), children, nieces, nephews and what we are going to share for dessert! 

We reminisce about the years we have traveled together, "the old days" and "the older days". Inevitably, we laugh out loud, sometimes grow quite quiet and often see each others eyes well up.   We agree we should "do this"  more often and we actually have gotten better about that; what are we waiting for, after all?  Two among us are heading toward 90 and Pam and I certainly aren't getting any younger - it just feels that way at the marathon luncheons we share!

I believe we should look forward in life.  The world needs us to keep moving, setting new goals and striving for more.  The gift of a lifelong friend, however, is a look in the mirror, a chance to see how far we have already come and to celebrate life to this point.  

For me, though, it's about another way to measure the gifts and blessings I have been given in my life and the opportunity to continue to create more.  It's about realizing I must have done something right in life to share this table with 3 amazing women:  all quite  different, truly individual, all to be admired and appreciated for just those reasons.

That, among so many other things, is what women do for other women.  We are barometers, road maps, memories, mentors, and that which, in every moment, links our past and our future in the moments we share in the now.

My wish for every woman in the world is to have the gift of even just one other woman who knows exaclty when to be brutally honest, when to lie a bit to make you feel better and always - and in all ways -  stand by your side when you need it most.    

BE that for another woman; you will instantly feel better about yourself and about life.

I know the day will come when we will be a table of 3 and then just 2.  If I am the last among the 4, I will be immeasurably sad, for sure, yet I will know that, even then, I will not be alone.  For to have a lifelong friend is just that...it's all just depends how you define "life".

So, IS it just me, or do you, too feel overwhelmed beyond your ability to express in words just how blessed you are because of a friend.


Thanks, Pam



No comments:

Post a Comment