Tagline

Friday, February 15, 2013

A War Worth Waging




I Know It’s Not Just Me on this one…

Last week, I shared a story of a young woman who jumped to her death from the George Washington Bridge in New York.  It seemed she saw no alternative to dealing with a handful of colleagues who were bullying her.

These “colleagues” are women!  They are not children who can be excused for simply not knowing any better.  WOMEN!

I had the pleasure of speaking with a member of The International Women’s Leadership Association  (TheIWLA) yesterday.  We spoke about the outrage of bullying, particularly as it is rampant among we who were once known as the “fairer” sex.  Well, there is nothing remotely fair about anyone who preys upon someone  perceived to be weaker, less worthy, or in the “spirit” of the manifesto-driven, less “entitled”.  (Another topic you shouldn’t get me started on!)

With her permission and her blessing, this wonderful women with whom I spoke, a victim of bullying herself, has granted me the right to share some of what we shared by way of our follow-up, written comments.  Thank you, Constancia.

Please read…  

Hi Beth,

Just wanted to tell you it was pleasant to hear your voice.  Just wanted to share with you after we talked, a young lady who I am considering for a position in my office told me her daughter was bullied at school and she attempted suicide.  Again, bullying is a real issue, it is rampant and I want to join with others in helping.  Thanks for your words of inspiration.   It has been a challenge since we last talked but I am still "shutting out the noise and pressing on."  This happens to be the title of my book, a work in progress.   There is a lot of negative chatter and negative energy right now.  If we allow this to engulf our being, it can blind us to our purpose and goals.   I will not be manipulated into the whirlwinds of life because I remain mindful of my Creator.  I am the change agent!

Have a great evening!
Best regards,

Constancia Stewart

My response…

Dear Constancia,

It was lovely to speak with you today, as well;  thank you for your kind words…

As you know, I have zero-tolerance for bullying; I loathe it is every one of its forms.
Your message, is such a sad one; one too frequently told Thankfully, in this case, it is not too late to do something.

We of TheIWLA stand ready to play whatever role we can in the worthy battle against bullying.  We will continue to blog about it and, with your blessing, I would like to use our correspondence for that purpose. 

You may believe, as I do, that there are no co-incidences.  So, how did you come to be named Constancia; it’s a strong and purposeful name!  The Creator you remain mindful of apparently had big things in store for you, thus a name that represents diligence, persistence, one who does not easily gives up: “the constant one”, Constancia.

You are wagering a big battle but it’s a worthy one and one that countless others join you in.  We join you and we will continue to shed light on this awful situation that, so sadly, seems to have become a female virus.

I look forward to reading your book.  I am sure it will help many.  Keep telling your story; keep telling the stories of others.

With my most sincere regards and in support of your work,

Beth Johnston
Executive Director
TheIWLA

I feel strongly that there are others readings this who can relate to Constancia.  I want  you to know that TheIWLA is going to continue to advocate against  bullying in every way possible.   I ask you to join us, share your stories, join local groups and pray.  Pray for the victims.  Pray for the bullies; they are the ones most in need of our prayers and redemption.  

I know it’s not just me….let’s do all we can to end bullying.  Mentor young girls.  Hold women accountable for their actions and may another one of us never choose death over life because of a bully.

To the victims, I say, “God bless you”;
to the bullies, I say, God help you”!

No comments:

Post a Comment