Tagline

Friday, February 1, 2013

In The Mirror


Is it just ME, or are you, too, amazed by people – even just one, if you’re lucky – who continue to inspire and amaze you?

I remember being eager to share daily reflections with my Dad – the world’s greatest listener – to draw-out his reaction.  I remember sharing my shock, my surprise, my delight – whatever I was feeling and asking, “Can you believe that, Dad?”  He’d look over his glasses, methodically remove them right to left, take a concentrated pause and reply, “Doll, you’ve been around long enough; how can anything surprise you, anymore.”  Oh, the wisdom!

Some of those days were half my life ago.  How I wish I could have just one more.  (That wouldn’t surprise anyone who knew my Dad.)

I think the sad reality of the high-tech age is that we hear so much that is negative.  The evening news show is too much to handle some times – and that’s just the local news!

Children being taken, spouses calculating cruelty against each other, politicians pandering for support…ENOUGH!

And then, it the bleakest of moments, hope rises from ruin and we are restored and reminded that good people, great people still live among us  Do they just not sell as many newspapers or keep the advertising dollar high enough to be lauded?  
I don’t know for sure – I wish I could figure it out, but in the meantime, I want to shine a light – again – on the women I am blessed to work with, to serve, to know, to admire, to call “friend”, my “sisters”, both biological and spiritual.  You continue to amaze me on so many levels and in so many ways. 
     
Yes, Dad, I have been around that long, yet I am still amazed!

Here’s the point: women always want to be, do, to help, to contribute.  Women NEED to do; leadership is born in us.  OK, maybe we just need to be reminded that we can aspire to be whatever we set our hearts, minds, passion and hard work to.  We are only bound by the limits we weigh ourselves down with.

Almost daily, I converse with a number of members of The Inter-national Women’s Leadership Association (TheIWLA).  They come from all walks of life, varying cultures and educational backgrounds. 

They often lose sight of the contribution they make to the world – they are just too busy doing it!  They are just that purposeful.

These women walk among us every day.  They don’t always stand out in a crowd; they rarely seek to.  They are “the makers”; not “the takers”.  They change hats throughout the day, they multi-task, they get the job done and then take on another one.  They keep the world spinning and say “thank you” at the end of the day.

Oh, I am just so amazed to know many of you, to have been blessed to share some time with you.
So, IS it just me, or are you, too blessed to have even one such person in your life? 

Look in the mirror…THERE SHE IS!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment