Tagline

Monday, February 4, 2013

Wash the Windows!



Is it just ME, or are you, too, amazed at simple things that seem to never get done?

Here’s an example…

I live in a pretty small town with a rather small assortment of retailers.  About a year-and-a-half ago, a new shop opened.  Something in the window caught my eye: a big red handbag!  I had to get a closer look.
Because I always pass this store either before or after normal retail hours, it necessitated a special trip on a weekend which, by the way, I was eager to make; and so I did.

Circled twice.  Found a parking space.  Stopped to take a look in the window; UGH!  I went in anyway.
The shop was a designer consignment shop, which I was not aware of, and the bag I was coveting was a tennis racket tote. 

As I was the only potential customer there (not!), I felt obligated to give every article its encore ovation.  Yes, there were Jimmy Choo shoes, Versace dresses, Armani suits, even a Vera Wang wedding dress!  AND, the large red tennis racket tote in the window.

All of that = NO SALE.

More than a year later, guess what?  Well, I’ve never revisited but I still do pass the shop and the large red tennis tote IS STILL IN THE WINDOW!!!!!



So, what, you ask!

Any market, large or small, has a finite number of opportunities to make an impression.   Making the right impression is the key.  You, like previously owned designer shoes may never get another chance to dance and be the belle of the ball.  You have to keep the music playing, keep the party going, keep the interest of the same audience.  That is the difference between success and failure.  In fact, it’s the basis of any and every relationship.

Don’t miss any opportunity to keep a prospect, a buyer, a follower from coming back and to keep following you.  “First dates” count.  Gone bad, they preclude second dates, and so on….

Keep your windows clean.  Force your market to take a second look. Give them something new to look at – it’s really that simple! 

Keeping the competitive edge in today’s market is tough, but if you make your audience feel as if you don’t care about them or that you don’t need them (and believe me: you do!) don’t be shocked when they return the sentiment.  You must keep doing the work.  You must keep the window into your business clean and appealing.

I doubt I’ll ever go into that shop again.  They have made their impression.  The next time I open that door may be when they have gone out of business and a new one has replaced them. 

Don’t let your customers, your prospects, your clients wait for the next “shop” to open.  Keep them buying from you!  Don’t let them replace you.

So, IS it just me, or do you feel like going home and cleaning your windows – it’s just me, right?

If you are in the market for a
LARGE RED TENNIS RACKET TOTE,
let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment