Tagline

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Carry On…


Is it just ME, or do you, too, sometime sing the lyrics of songs without giving them much thought? Please, tell me I am not the only one!!

In the past week, or so, I have heard a song that drew me in;  I think I was singing along the very first time I heard it – now THAT’S a catchy tune!!

MY ear picked up a bit of a Celtic sound and rhythm; a pleasing sound to these ears, indeed.

That caused me to tap my foot and bounce my head; these are the words that made me think:

“May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground...”

WOW!  Such prophetic words from a band named “Fun”.  I've thought about these words and decided I’d be OK to have them as my epitaph.

What I get – and invite you to consider – is that regardless of our phase or stage of life, we ought to take time to glance back and in our own past and on our own path we should see that we were always moving, that our feet were always making noise and that we were headed toward something.  In glancing back, it’s alright to slow down a bit to focus on the view, but don’t stop – not even then; there is no time to waste.

What you don’t want to hear in looking back on your own life is the sound of silence, albeit, lines from another great song.  While we may think we want silence, that we long for what my own dear parents said they wished for (but never got) was ‘peace and quiet’.  Actually, I don’t think they would have known what to do with it!   Actually, I think they were happy in never finding out in may have been a disappointment.



NOISE is good, and it need not have high volume!  Noise can be the thoughts in your own mind, the feel of your own heart beating a bit faster, the anticipation of seeing someone you haven’t seen in a long time.  Noise is proof that you are not just alive, but that you are living, that you are moving, that you are growing, making a difference, leaving a footprint.

Noise doesn't have to mean you are heard above all others; but it can mean you are noticed above others, that you are easy to remember and hard to forget/  Noise doesn't mean you have to be the life of the party; just that you added to the enjoyment of the party for others.  It doesn't mean you have to be the one everyone else wants to be; it means you are the one others are happy just to know. 



What’s great about this notion is that if you have been sitting with your feet up (figuratively), in any moment, you can chose to put your feet on the ground.  Guess what?  The moment you do that, you have a moment to look back on…YOU WERE MAKING NOISE!  Now, keep going.

Your past need not define this moment; it need not define your future and it need not define you. If you got to the party late, that’s OK;  better that than not showing up at all  - or that you left before the music began.

So, IS it just me, or do you feel like dancing, marching, moving, making noise?  Don’t let me get in the way………


Carry on; carry on!


No comments:

Post a Comment