Tagline

Monday, August 12, 2013

So what?


Is it just ME, or do you, too sometimes find yourself “stuck” in a moment that requires a decision and you’re just not sure…..

I’d bet I’m not alone, but those days are over for me; here’s why…

In a decision-making moment, I stop and ask myself, “What’s the worst thing that can happen if…?”

I've known many people who burden themselves, over-ponder, delay making decisions and in so doing miss the sweetest spot of the moment.  Silly!

Here’s a great analogy – and one I have been party to…. I recall asking people if they could take, let’s say 10 minutes of their time, to  do something, participate in something, add to an experience for others…we’re talking good stuff here …and they have taken 20 minutes to tell me they don’t have 10!  Do the math!!!


Don’t have a fear of making decisions and taking action; what’s the worst thing that could happen?  You might learn something?  You might get to cross some-thing off your list of things to do?  You might bring yourself one step closer to a better way of doing something?

Is there really a downside to trying something?  I’m beginning to think there really isn’t.  Granted, I am not talking about major events:  choosing a life partner, buying a house, stepping away from your job, planning major surgery…though there are plenty of OOPS in the files on all of these matters… I’m talking about day-to-day opportunities that we put off.  I’m talking about the in-the-moment opportunities that offer exponential ROI. 

What’s the worst thing that could have happen?   WE LEARNED SOMETHING:  we learned that it DID or it DIDN’T work!  Do we have such a fear of self- empowerment that we opt-out of our own lives – even temporarily – and throw our lives into neutral so we can think about it?

I’ve been around long enough to know that the truly perfect moment – for anything – rarely comes; I’ve learned that it must be created; it must be declared.   I’ve learned that NOW is usually the best time and that putting anything off until the house is clean, the bills are paid, the sun is shining and there is absolutely nothing else in the world that must be done  - will never come.

For me, I’ve learned that I would rather learn from my own failed attempts, my own OOPS moments, my own way of experiencing something so that I can continue to move forward than to live my life looking in the rear view mirror to see where I MIGHT have been had I taken the moment to pull-off the “road to perfection” and taken a moment to learn, to do, to be.

I’d rather learn from failed attempts than to live with regret for never having tried.  Regret is a terrible thing, as I see it.

SO WHAT if the house isn’t clean or there is laundry to be done?  Who are we creating this environment for?  If the (proverbial) doorbell rang – right now – would you be ready to welcome someone into your home, your life, here and now or would you close the door and take time to think about it.  If you do that, may I guess that your doorbell will begin to ring less and less as time goes by.

May I also suggest that others in your life want the experience of you, not your clean house and if you feel the opposite is true, you are playing to the wrong audience; you are trying too hard to please the wrong people.

So WHAT?  It’s your life you’re talking about and life is not a spectator sport – get in the game.  LIVE…LEARN…BLOOM…


So, IS it just me, or do you, too, believe the worst thing that can happen might really not be all that bad?


So what!


No comments:

Post a Comment